1. Members must be 18 years old or over to borrow and use tools from the HNL
Tool Library (“HNLTL”.)
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) complete a Membership
Application; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; and (c) have their
residence confirmed by an HNLTL volunteer or staff member. Completing a
Membership Application includes both the Application form and the Member's
identity. Identity is confirmed by presenting a valid government issued
3. HNLTL staff is available to assist in explaining operation of tools. However,
by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is
capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Only the Member is authorized to use HNLTL tools. The Member shall
not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person.
5. Members will not specifically be charged for borrowing any tool
unless it is returned in a state that indicates severe neglect and
misuse by the Borrower.
6. All tools borrowed are to be returned to HNLTL by close of business
on their due date. Tools may only be returned during HNLTL’s business
7. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for late fees.
Late fees are capped at the value of the tool plus a $10 administrative fee
per tool. If a tool is 60 days late, Member is given 1 additional week to
return/replace tools or membership is permanently revoked. HNLTL may
replace severely delinquent tools, holding the Member responsible for the full
replacement cost plus the $10 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full
before borrowing additional items.
8. HNLTL reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve
delinquent tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a
collection agency and/or legal action. The Member will be responsible for all
associated costs of such. HNLTL also reserves the right to forgive fees due to
9. Members may renew each tool once if they contact HNLTL prior to
the due date; however, HNLTL reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals
and will do so based on demand.
10. The Member agrees that HNLTL is not responsible for any manufacturing
defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed
11. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a
state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the
tool and notify HNLTL of the issue upon return, if not earlier.
12. All tools are to be returned in the same or better condition as they were
issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean.
The Member agrees to pay for the loss or damage of any item and further
agrees to accept HNLTL’s assessment of condition of items and to further
agree to HNLTL’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness,
delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount
could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus the $10 administrative
13. HNLTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.